Sustaining Engineering Services
What the heck is sustainment engineering?
Sustainment engineering is the process of performing a technology refresh on hardware that is nearing end of life (EOL) or has already entered obsolescence phase of its life cycle. Basically, applying engineering to solve or mitigate the current obsolescence problem.
Apex Embedded Systems LLC has performed sustaining engineering for OEMs who have experienced the EOL issues but wish to continue production as the product or system still adds value to the market place.
Value of refreshing existing hardware:
- Mitigate risk
- Minimize costly software rewrites and risks
- Reduce capital expenditures
- Take advantage of current technology
- Extend production life cycles
- Save time in re-qualification
- Pay for improvements over time
By providing a drop-in replacement we can extend the production life cycle, eliminate the need to modify existing software, and avoid costly software re-qualification.
We have delivered software compatible solutions by modifying our existing PC/104 products and adapt them to other legacy or other third party cards; thus delivering a drop-in (or near drop-in) solution avoiding costly application software rewrites.
We can be your second source option to improve availability within your supply chain.
We have also taken old multi-card systems and merged to a single card solution, thus maintaining overall system functionality and reducing costs. We have provided super-set functionality while still maintaining software legacy interfaces. Our standard STX104 card is a great example of multiple card integration along side super-set functionality.
Systems we have delivered updates contain some of the following bus interfaces:
- ISA bus (IEEE P996)
- IEEE 583-1982 IEEE Standard Modular Instrumentation and Digital Interface System or Computer Automated Measurement and Control (CAMAC)
- STD Bus
- printer port (IEEE1284)
- RS232, RS422, RS485 and any serial related
- other proprietary parallel bus structures
If you need to extend production life cycles, we can help.